Wednesday, July 13, 2016

It's not you, it's me

A couple of days ago I got a phone call from D, the man who has been pursuing me for the past few months. When our paths first crossed he stopped to tell me how attracted he was to me, and I was so shocked I didn't know what to say.  I mean, he was gorgeous, and a lot younger than me, and it was the last thing I expected.  I have to admit I have enjoyed his phone calls, texts and meeting for coffee, and the way he makes me laugh and feel better about myself. But I felt it was only fair to let him know that this is not the time for me to be involved with anyone. Coming out of the wreckage and betrayal of my last 5 year relationship, I am finally starting to get my head above water. I explained that I had to just focus on ME right now. When I said the words, "it's not you, it's me" I could barely believe I was using that old cliche', let alone turning down a beautiful man with a kind heart, who I really did not want to hurt. I hope he believed me. He said he understood. I know my heart, and it doesn't just take love lightly, and right now it is so fragile. Still, I thank the universe for sending him my way, to boost my shattered self-esteem, and to give me hope that someday I WILL be ready. Until then, I will move forward with the love of the one person I know will not hurt me...MYSELF.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How brave and honest of you. It is a nice thing to know that when we offer our best and someone is not ready to receive that it isn't the gift. So many people would take advantage in their time of need.

Rishell Graves said...

Thank you Cheryl.

Kim Antieau said...

Yes, how brave and wonderful of you. Fabulous.