Thursday, October 27, 2016

Traces


There are traces of everyone I have ever loved,
Things I could never let go of.
The sound of laughter,
The taste of tears,
The way he smiled.
A scent that reminds me of one,
A song that brings me back to another.
Voices that still haunt me,
Others that bring comfort.
Each is a part of who I have become.

I carry these pieces in my heart,
The DNA of each lover imprinted on my cells.
The light of every star that formed them,
Mixed with the starlight of my own soul.

Is it any wonder that I cannot turn loose of these parts of myself,
Made from the traces of others?
I keep each one safe inside, a part of me forever,
A big swirling mass of LOVE
That has created and defined what I am.

2 comments:

Paula H. said...

Rishell, you have always had a way with words; a way of looking at things that is unique and an ability to share that outlook with others. What a gift!

Connie F said...

I was just thinking about you as I put a pot of split peas on the stove for soup. I will be adding potatoes later on; a tip you shared with me in Wauconda. Every time I make this soup I think of my mother who first taught and of you who expanded my ideas.
I came here to your blog, hoping to see some new poetry and wow, this one is wonderful and really expresses a lot of what I feel too. It's beautiful, thank you Rishell.
Connie Fenner